Sunday, August 02, 2009

The Nice Politics of Minnesota

One of the nice things about vacation is catching up on the reading in my pile. One of those items was a New York Times Week in Review piece about the election of Al Franken as senator from Minnesota.

I thought the piece would be about Franken. Instead, its author David Carr presents an ode to the uniquely participatory and relatively clean politics of Minnesota. He describes some of the colorful characters whom Minnesotans have elected and how these people have not only risen to the occasion but often served as innovators.

Carr also describes some of the uniquely Minnesotan approaches to precinct politics, regional needs and voter registration that give Minnesotan politics its unique characteristics.

The article made me proud to have started my adult life in Minnesota, and I see how the values I learned then remain a part of me today.

Read the entire article at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/weekinreview/05franken.html?ref=weekinreview&pagewanted=all

No comments: